Signs of Termites
Maida Inspection Services performs a Pest Inspection with their Home or Commercial Inspections. If you suspect your home has termites, it is recommended that you have it thoroughly inspected by a professional inspector who is trained to detect the signs of termites, which may be subtle.
The following list indicates common signs of a termite infestation.
- Mud tunnels along the foundation of the house inside or out.
- Wings or sawdust near windows, doors or in the garage.
- Buckling paint or tiny holes on wood
- Flying or "swarming" termites in the house, especially near light sources.
Discouraging Termite Activity:
The following are tips to help you improve conditions that are inviting to termites. These measures will not prevent or control infestations.
Moisture attracts subterranean termites. Moisture problems should be corrected as follows:
- Eliminate any standing water and its source.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clean, in good repair and free of clogs.
- Use splash blocks where necessary.
- Maintain proper ventilation and remove obstructions that prevent access to the crawl space.
- Repair leaky plumbing or any drainage under the house.
- Remove wood, such as scrap lumber, boards from foundation installation, tree stumps and firewood from the ground and away from the home.
- Cut back all shrubs/bushes away from the foundation of the home.
If you suspect your home has termites, we recommend a pest controll company. Generally, the products that pest control companies use are stronger and last longer. Also, many professionals use chemicals that don't have an odor.
So, what should you look for in a pest controll company?
- State certification or licensure
- The company should be well-established
- They should treat seasonally; not with monthly service contracts
- Be wary of companies that try to scare you into buying products or services
The full effectiveness of chemicals in buildings is ONLY temporary. A homeowner must follow up treatment with the elimination of moisture and food source, and implementation of preventative measures mentioned above.